Tuesday, May 18, 2010

wumpus-core

Copperbox revision 1351.

The boundary calculations for ellipses weren't right in the last commit - they had a special case for circles that was wrong.

Circles are still problematic with the code in this revision - because I take the tangent at specific points, a circle rotated 45 degrees about its center will have a different bounding box to a non rotated circle of the same area. This is the same effect as a diamond having a larger bounding box the a square with the same side length.

I'm not sure what to do about this. I don't mind that the bounding box of an ellipse is the bounding box of its control points rather than a tighter bounding box taking tangents to the arcs - calculating this would take some maths I don't know. However, for circles my laxness does seem less justified as the visual mis-match is so apparent.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Disambiguating biog as there are a few Stephen Tetley's in the world. I'm neither a cage fighter or yachtsman. I studied Fine Art in the nineties (foundation Bradford 1992, degree Cheltenham 1992 - 95) then Computing part-time at Leeds Met graduating in 2003. I'm the Stephen Tetley on Haskell Cafe and Stackoverflow.