Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wumpus

Copperbox revision 717.

An experiment with a new Picture type that is a function from Frame -> PostScript rather than Point -> PostScript.

I've an intuition that the Image type in Haven (Point -> Colour) is actually equivalent to an affine frame with the caveat that the basis vectors are orthonormal: affine frames are represented by the triple (o,vec-x,vec-y) - o is the origin, vec-x and vec-y are the basis vectors; if the basis vectors are orthonormal then you get a standard grid, if they aren't orthonormal you get scaling, shearing, or rotation.

I've previously decided that a generalization of Point -> Colour doesn't work too well for PostScript (as PostScript images are discrete), but I've been stumped as to what a better type might be. Introducing Frame as the function's domain does seem to be more aligned with the coordinate free approach developed by Tony DeRose and others which is one of my reference points in designing Wumpus.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Disambiguating biog as there are a few Stephen Tetley's in the world. I'm neither a cage fighter or yachtsman. I studied Fine Art in the nineties (foundation Bradford 1992, degree Cheltenham 1992 - 95) then Computing part-time at Leeds Met graduating in 2003. I'm the Stephen Tetley on Haskell Cafe and Stackoverflow.