Tuesday, February 7, 2012

functional envelopes

Whilst writing FMSS, I didn't spot that envelopes can be a function from Duration to Signal.

Idiomatic Csound envelopes are defined contingent to note duration - pfield 3:

idur = p3
; pass envelope sweep from 0.0 to 600
linseg 0.01, idur, 600.0


In FMSS, rather than have the note duration as a free variable (which might have lead me to the functional formulation sooner...) I had global reference idur. Maybe the functional view, if it can build other signals, makes it possible for UGen assemblies to be be more compositional.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Disambiguating biog as there are a few Stephen Tetley's in the world. I'm neither a cage fighter or yachtsman. I studied Fine Art in the nineties (foundation Bradford 1992, degree Cheltenham 1992 - 95) then Computing part-time at Leeds Met graduating in 2003. I'm the Stephen Tetley on Haskell Cafe and Stackoverflow.