Sunday, December 14, 2008

HNotate

Copperbox revision 377.

Work to add templates for Midi output, so Midi would work like LilyPond or Abc...

However, its probably Midi's swan song as far as HNotate goes. I think I can say that having HNotate work with both Abc and LilyPond has improved HNotate. While there is still plenty of convoluted code in HNotate, targeting both Abc and LilyPond has made me look for better solutions than I think I would have found just targeting LilyPond. But, I believe that adding Midi support has made HNotate worse - to support Midi it feels like I've dubiously generalized some parts of HNotate that supported Abc and HNotate well. So after this revision I think Midi's time is up.

I'd like to add a notelist backend at some point that can easily be parsed and turned into Midi (something like one of the Humdrum representations), but a representation that is still textual so better matches what HNotate is good at.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Disambiguating biog as there are a few Stephen Tetley's in the world. I'm neither a cage fighter or yachtsman. I studied Fine Art in the nineties (foundation Bradford 1992, degree Cheltenham 1992 - 95) then Computing part-time at Leeds Met graduating in 2003. I'm the Stephen Tetley on Haskell Cafe and Stackoverflow.