Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hurdle

Copperbox revision 1061.

I've changed the COFF parser to use the do-notation.

I've decided I prefer having intermediate names for the parse results rather than long applicative chains. This is because I'm finding the specifications for binary formats too lax for my taste - for instance the PECOFF spec doesn't mention the IMAGE_DOS_HEADER - it doesn't have to as it isn't strictly part of the format, but the IMAGE_DOS_HEADER is at the start of all DLLs - what documentation actually specifies this? No doubt it exists but I certainly can't easily find it.

Similarly for (ar) archive files, the only full spec I could find was for AIX Unix. It looks like GNU ar uses the same conventions, but where do I get a definitive answer from rather than my own conjecture?

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Disambiguating biog as there are a few Stephen Tetley's in the world. I'm neither a cage fighter or yachtsman. I studied Fine Art in the nineties (foundation Bradford 1992, degree Cheltenham 1992 - 95) then Computing part-time at Leeds Met graduating in 2003. I'm the Stephen Tetley on Haskell Cafe and Stackoverflow.