Tuesday, May 8, 2012

wumpus-lite and "wumpus hiatus"

Copperbox revision 2762.

Added an experiment - Wumpus-Lite.

Wumpus-Lite is an idea towards reimplementing Wumpus so it can generate size efficient PostScript. Currently Wumpus takes no advantage of PostScript's ability to create procedures so the output files are huge. Wumpus-Lite is my initial thought towards embedding procedures in the EDSL.

That said, Wumpus-Lite is just a code dump. I'm not going to actively work on it in the near future, and Wumpus itself is also on indefinite hiatus (just like Stereolab!).

In fact, I'm about to change my working method entirely so the recent work like the Processing OSC experiments won't see any further work either. The new work should still go into Copperbox and it will still be open source, but it will be quite different. It won't even be in Haskell - this is for pragmatic reasons as the language I'm switching to is tailored to music and, importantly, has a large, active community of people using it to make music.

There may be a gap of a few weeks before I have any of the new work is ready to commit as I will be learning a new language...




Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Disambiguating biog as there are a few Stephen Tetley's in the world. I'm neither a cage fighter or yachtsman. I studied Fine Art in the nineties (foundation Bradford 1992, degree Cheltenham 1992 - 95) then Computing part-time at Leeds Met graduating in 2003. I'm the Stephen Tetley on Haskell Cafe and Stackoverflow.