Monday, July 18, 2011

fm-drum

Vis the previous post, the code is a translation to Csound of Jan Mattox's fm drum that is distributed with CLM (Common Lisp Music).

The "low" drum seems sonically pretty close to the original, the "high" drum sounds somewhat different, though I can't work out why.

It turned out to be a lot of effort porting from CLM (which I didn't know at all) to Csound (which I clearly didn't know that well...), hence I haven't updated Copperbox recently. Developing instruments does seem to need a lot of domain knowledge which is perhaps not easy to acquire, certainly if you view instrument building as a "programming" exercise. Maybe it is easier for electronic engineers.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Disambiguating biog as there are a few Stephen Tetley's in the world. I'm neither a cage fighter or yachtsman. I studied Fine Art in the nineties (foundation Bradford 1992, degree Cheltenham 1992 - 95) then Computing part-time at Leeds Met graduating in 2003. I'm the Stephen Tetley on Haskell Cafe and Stackoverflow.