Saturday, March 8, 2008

Bala

Copperbox is 100.

Extended the Base.Chord module with labelled chords (e.g Cmaj7) . The Read instance for labelled chords is unfortunately rather messy as the chord names don't split nicely into sub-tokens.

At 100, it would be nice if bits of Copperbox were useful - unfortunately they aren't. The C front end and the ASDL tool seem like dead ends - while it would be nice to use Haskell to analyse C code (and get the great tools into the bargain e.g. Strafunski and its successors, UUAG...) the only game in town for analysing C is OCaml and CIL.

Bala is making slow progress. It doesn't feel very Haskell-like at the moment - the core data types don't have many operations other than Read and Show instances. While I don't mind this as the current focus - using data types and constructors natively in Haskell for music representation can be still be very verbose compared to say ABC format - I have some concerns that I'm not getting to the heart of the form of the data types and how they should work.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Disambiguating biog as there are a few Stephen Tetley's in the world. I'm neither a cage fighter or yachtsman. I studied Fine Art in the nineties (foundation Bradford 1992, degree Cheltenham 1992 - 95) then Computing part-time at Leeds Met graduating in 2003. I'm the Stephen Tetley on Haskell Cafe and Stackoverflow.